Thursday, July 02, 2009

Life

God: I just can't do this. I can't be that cruel. He slouched in his chair and stared at the desk. Saturn walked in looking distracted. God didn't look up. Saturn found the book he was looking for, then noticed God. Saturn: Something wrong, God? God: I'm not creating life, Saturn. I can't put them through that. Saturn: Well, it's your decision. But it's the only way you're gonna survive. God: I know, Saturn. Just let me mope on this for awhile. Saturn stood silently for five minutes, then spoke again. Saturn: If you don't create life, no one will remember you. You'll disappear into an eternity of nothingness. You won't feel the passage of time. You won't exist. God shuddered. He wished Saturn would let him stop thinking about it. Saturn: You know all along you would come to this point. We knew it too, before you were born. God: I know, Saturn. Please go away. Saturn quietly left the room. Half an hour later God got up from his desk and went to find Saturn. God: It just seems so cruel, Saturn. To put people through life, suffering from birth to death. Confused, unsure why they exist, dreading the future. And so many of them, created in the world only to be imprisoned forever in immaterial nothingness. All just to preserve some old deity. Saturn: It's cruel God, I know. God: I thought you might try to tell me about happiness in life. Saturn closed his book and set it on the table. Then he straightened up and faced God. Saturn: I wouldn't try to tell you that, God. Happiness just leaves a person something to be bitter about. The universe was made to be cruel and it will be so until the end. God stood there biting his fingernails. God: It's really very simple, isn't it? Saturn: It is. But it's your decision. God walked back into his room. A few minutes later he came out again. God: I won't do it, Saturn. Saturn: Suit yourself. He didn't look up from his book. God waited a few seconds and then left to go to bed. Saturn couldn't be so cruel, either. He had know God since God was born, and hated to see his friend vanish. Saturn put his book down, walked into God's work room, and created life for him.

No comments: