Sunday, July 26, 2009

Snowman

I pushed snow around into a large ball and watched David do the same. We hauled the snow together into amessy stack. I gouged out three cavities to make eyes and a mouth. Then I stepped sideways to a door, turned the knob, took out some white rope, and tossed it to David. We pushed stakes into the ground and wound the rope around them, tying it into a loop. The rope made the pattern of a five-pointed star around the snowman. I waved to a face staring out of a window in the chocolate factory. More faces accumulated at the windows. Orange gloves threw a stick over the fence and I pointed at it when it landed. David picked it up and threw it at the snowman, knocking off a piece of snow. I picked it up and threw it again. We repeated this over and over again until the snowman was obliterated. A truck drove by with a picture of the dead snowman on the side. A dark cloud came overhead and Orange gloves went inside as snow began to hit my head. The snow pushed me around and it was heavy. David and I ran inside as the sky turned black and it became night. Looking out the window at the chocolate factory I saw there were new people there, with torches lit on poles and laughing and talking. They were there all night. In the morning the house was surrounded by snowmen. I felt sick and didn't want to go outside. It was still snowing.

No comments: